You’ve probably seen this blog title several places, blogging is still the in thing even in 2023; I remember back in the day when blogging was thought to be dead; little did we know it has taken different forms. People are now passionate about it than ever before.
But you need to note this does not happen overnight, there is no success without one putting efforts to good use; Blogging your way to success takes time, some kick off a little after 6 months others over 2 years; everything depends on your best efforts.
There is always a need to consistent, blogging is not for the faint hearted some folks blog for a few months and leave it idle for years, others get it right and make it a passion and then a flourishing business.
You can make Blogging a full time business or a part time business, one person who does this is Sammie Ellard who has a full time job but still take two hours of his personal time to write content and post on his blog, others like Linda Ikeji gets news bits and leads from other sources then makes it a full time career job, she is famous in Africa, Nigeria and even flies in a Private jet with her family, yes you got that right, you can be a multi-millionaire just from blogging.
Blogging requires you creating a niche for yourself, have a style and stick to it, blogging could be in different forms or formats, if you are a lover of cats and you feel that is your thing post write ups related to cats, from how you care for them to what kind of food they eat, or vet recommendation; once you start getting traction then seek other ways to generate traffic to your content.
In this blog post I will run you through content on How To Make Money From Your Blog The Hard Truth
A good blog requires a good host.
Definition of blogging
Why people start blogs
The potential to make money from blogging
- Building Your Blogging Foundation
Choosing your niche and audience
Creating quality content
Developing your blog’s visual identity
Optimizing your blog for Search engines
III Monetizing Your Blog
Understanding the different ways to make money from blogging
Affiliate marketing: What it is and how to use it
Sponsored content: How to approach brands and maintain authenticity
Advertising using ads to generate income
Digital products: Creating and selling your own products
IV Growing and Maintaining Your Blog.
Social media and Marketing strategies
The importance of building relationships with your audience
Consistency and persistence in creating content
Avoiding common pitfalls and mistakes
V. The importance of hard work, dedication, and patience.
Setting realistic expectations for your blogging income
Recap of key points
Final thoughts and advice for aspiring bloggers
Definition of blogging : What in the world is blogging ?
Blogging is simply a way of expressing yourself on a journal or online; imaging blogging like this, if you caste your mind back when people have short notes as diaries and then express themselves on hard copy, blogging takes a bit of a dimension like this; sharing your knowledge on a topic and then using certain keywords to make yourself searchable.
A blog is still seen as an online journal where different information is posted on a wide range of topics, and this days blogs are run by either individuals or groups or even corporations run blogs, I noticed my local electricity company run a blog service to keep people informed on new development regarding power distribution, so blogging or blogs are not just few persons regularly updating content about a topic or also organizations keeping people informed about their service or business.
Why People Start blogs:
For a number of reasons, for me it is the adventure of creating content because I want to perfect my writing skills, when I was younger I had challenges with my structure in writing English, it was tough for me and I felt blogging will give me that advantage in improving my writing skill and mental health. For me blogging is fun, but hopefully monetizing it will be the end goal.
Some other folks use blogging to advertise their skill set, Neil Patel is a good example of a skilled blogger, who dishes out quality content, he is an experienced Digital Marketer, an SEO expert and has another side hustle he promotes , Crazy Egg, a software website that allows users to test tools that gives you heatmaps, clickmaps and scrollmaps of your visitors interacting your site. Crazy Eggs is a master piece on its own.
You can start a blog on just about anything, from cooking different recipes and dishes of countries around the world; write on tourism, do a review on airlines or great to go places in Asia or secret African villages no one has heard of.
People start blogs to do reviews on products or services like the new Apple phone .
The Potential to make money from blogging
There is huge potential in making a good income from blogging, the one key thing to note is it takes time and effort to achieving your blogging goals, the potential earnings also vary depending on what niche you are considering
Some niche have a higher earning potential than others for example, blogging on personal finance, health, fitness or travel tend to have a higher earning potential than blogging about less attractive niche.
Traffic: Traffic is key as a blogger your major factor is making sure you pull traffic to your blog, the more traffic/visitors you bring in the more opportunities in making money can be actualized, you can earn money through advertising, sponsorships, and affiliate marketing. (More on this)
But bringing in traffic means one has to be strategic with the exposure, content is crucial when trying to make money from blogging; the quality of content is crucial for building a loyal readership and attracting new readers to your blog.
The better your content, the more likely readers are to share it, link it and come back for more, a great content blog that builds on this is Social Media Examiner, Social media examiner is a great piece of work and they specialize more on content marketing, social media marketing, founded by Michael Stelzner, Social Media Examiner publishes blog post to drive awareness and increase sales.
Building Your Blogging Foundation
Choosing your niche and audience: In choosing your niche and audience you need to pay attention to the following
- Identify your interests: The first step in choosing a niche is to identify your interests. Think about what topics you are knowledgeable about and passionate about. This will help you choose a niche that you will enjoy writing about, I choose content marketing and social media marketing as a niche for this blog, another reason why I picked this is I have love and passion for this space, when one see’s the blog articles and post he or she will see me as an authority and then probably will signup to get trends, once you become an authority you become a figure head.
- Research the market: Research the market to find out what niches are currently popular and what topics people are searching for. This will help you choose a niche that has a large audience. Take your time to understand what you will be treating, go through books, journals, youtube and document your journey, writing this post I have put in a lot of time in my research, hours combing the internet and applied every knowledge to use, you need to do the same.
- Choose a specific niche: It’s important to choose a specific niche rather than a broad topic. For example, instead of choosing “food” as your niche, you could choose “healthy recipes for busy moms.” Or choosing “content marketing” you could choose “ Top 10 strategies to improve your blog traffic”; This will help you stand out from the competition and attract a more targeted audience.
- Define your audience: Once you have chosen your niche, define your audience. Think about who your ideal reader is and what their interests and needs are. This will help you create content that resonates with your audience and build a loyal following.
You could even set up a questionnaire on twitter or Linkedin asking your readers what topics you want to be discussed on your blog, this will help in setting a proper deliverable to your audience.
- Stay flexible: Your niche and audience may evolve over time, so be open to making changes as needed. Pay attention to your analytics and feedback from your readers to determine what is working and what isn’t. You can use google trends to see what people are searching for related to your niche and set the ball rolling, do your research as discussed earlier and light up your blog with a good article.
Creating quality content
When creating content, always write for others, when writing set yourself as though you were the consumer, what do you want people to be feed with, what kind of content should your readers see, what should stick to them to always remember you. Remember it is a sales pitch, you need retainer ship.
Make your content to be readable, avoid grammatical errors at all times, be intentional about what you write; be trustworthy, people who read your blog should always look forward to another quality post from you, engage them in a way that they need to signup to a newsletter or your mailing list; remember to establish authority.
Developing your blog’s visual identity
When choosing your blog’s visual identity you need to need to ensure there is a level of consistency in the feel and look of your blog’s brand, this should be done in a way it appeals to your target audience.
This should include the color scheme, typography, graphics and images that should reflect your blog’s personality and content.
Here are some steps you can take in developing your blog’s visual identity
- Choose a color palette: Select a set of colors that reflect your blog’s personality and tone. Use these colors consistently throughout your blog.
- Create a logo; Having a logo is priceless , a logo actually represents your blogs brand, it should be simple, memorable and also represent your blog’s personality.
- Choose a font: Select a set of font types and sizes to reflect your blog’s personality, place a font that is easy to read and should be used throughout your blog’s existence.
- Create a style guide: A style guide that outlines the visual elements of your blog’s brand, this should include your color palette, fonts, logo and image style. Using this guide will ensure there is consistency across all your blog’s visual elements.
- Use images and graphics: Select high quality images and graphics that are relevant to your blog’s content. The key word here is consistency.
Developing your blog’s visual identity is important because it helps to establish your blog’s brand, make it more memorable and recognizable and create a consistent user experience for your readers.
Optimizing your blog for Search engines
Optimizing your blog for search engines is also known as Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and this involves improving your blog’s content and structure so that your blog content can rank higher in search engine result pages. I will give you a run down on tips on how you can improve your search engine results.
- Optimize your blog titles with tags and meta description: Your title tags and meta descriptions are the first thing users see in search engine results. Ensure that they are descriptive, keyword-rich and provide a clear and concise summary of your blog’s content.
- Learn to use internal and external links; to your blog post, make it a point of duty to link your blog post to relevant sources within and outside your blog, use relevant descriptive anchor text for your links
- Publish high quality content that will engage your readers, make it worth the reading where your audience will always want to come back for more, use relevant keywords in your blogs content to avoid keyword stuffing, this will help avoid too much grammar and content mishap.
- Use alt tag for images, having descriptive alt tag for images on your blog helps search engines understand what your images are and helps improves your blogs accessibility.
- Make your blog more mobile friendly, your blog has to load faster on mobile devices.
- Use keyword research tools like Google keyword planner to identify the most relevant and high traffic keywords for your blog’s niche. Use these keywords in your blog’s content and meta description.
- Get to use Header tags (H1.H2,H3) this will break your blog contents but avoid keyword stuffing.
- Monitor your blog analytics, using tools like Google analytics to track your blog’s traffic and user behavior. Use this data to optimize your blog’s content and structure over time.
III Monetizing Your Blog
There are several ways you can monetize your blog
Monetizing your blog is one of the best ways to generating income while you are putting in all the efforts in making sure your content is seen, let me explain in more detail
Affiliate marketing, This is a process where you promote other people’s products on your blog and earn a commission for every sale made through your unique affliliate link, how does one get affiliate links to make a sale, well you need to sign up for afflilaite programs offered by companies whose products are relevant to your blog’s niche.
Sponsored content. This is when a company pays you to write a blog post or article promoting their product or service, It is important to disclose sponsored content to your audience to maintain transparency.
Digital products. You can create and sell your own digital products, such products like e-books, courses or printables on your blog, you can always set a reminder to your readers via your autoresponder
Advertising : Placing ads on your blog is the best way to monetize your blog, when they are visits on your blog, you’ll get clicks or impressions which then can lead to sales for you.
It is important to note that each monetization strategy has its pros and cons, and some may work better for certain niche or audiences. It’s a good idea to experiment with different strategies and see what works best for your blog.
Digital products: Creating and selling your own products
Digital products can be a great way to monetize your blog, and they are a number of options to consider when monetizing via digital products
Ebooks: Writing and selling e-books can be a great way to make money from your blog. You can write an ebook on a topic you are knowledgeable about or what your readers might be interested in and then sell it via your blog or website. Your readers can also subscribe or buy from external websites like Amazon or BookFlow.
Webinars: You can host webinars that bring in valuable content to your readers while also monetizing your blog, webinars have been of great value in recent times 92% of professionals think a webinar is the best way to engage a large remote audience.
40% of individuals watch the entire webinar; you can have a webinar to promote courses, sell a service, build a brand or generate more leads, webinars are used also to promote or launch new products.
Online courses: Online courses are a great way to generating money on your blog; you can link online courses from websites like Udemy to your blog, that way you get more traffic when people like your courses there and they will always return to your blog for more content and vibe.
Digital downloads: You can create digital downloads like printables, templates or other resources that your readers might find useful
You can sell them through your website or other websites like etsy.
Membership sites: You can create a membership website where members pay a monthly fee for access to exclusive content. This can be a good way to build a community around your blog and provide ongoing value to your readers.
Growing and Maintaining your Blog
To make money blogging, it is very important to not only create quality content but also promote it effectively. Social media is a great tool for marketing your service or blog online.
In maintaining a successful blog, you need the following strategies to perfect your growth.
- Build an Email List: Email marketing is an effective way to keep your readers engaged and promote you blog content. Offer a free incentive such as an eBook or exclusive content in exchange for their email address. Once you have their email address, you can send them newsletters and updates about your blog.
- Use SEO techniques: By having a search engine optimization (SEO) technique you can improve the visibility of your blog through the search engines like google or yahoo. This will help optimize your contents, using relevant keywords and building backlinks to your website.
- Offer a product or service: Monetize your blog by offering a product or service that relates to your blog’s niche. This can include e-books, courses, coaching or physical products.
- Partner with other bloggers: Form a partnership or network with other bloggers this will help you reach a wider audience. You can collaborate as a guest blogger or promote via social media platforms; this will also help you build relationships with other bloggers and learn from their experiences.
- Advertise on Social Media: When you advertise on social media you reach a wider audience and promote your blog; you can use social platforms like Instagram, Facebook Ads , Twitter Ads and Outbrain Native Ads to target your desired audience.
- Build an email List: Email marketing is one of the most effective ways to keep your readers engaged to your blog or website, Email marketing accounts for almost 15% of success rates in closing a “mail deal”, whether you are promoting a brand or you have an article you want your readers to read, it is safe to say Email marketing is your sure bet to engaging your reader; you can offer a free incentive such as an eBook or exclusive content in exchange for their email address. Once you have their email address, you can send them newsletters and updates about your blog.
The importance of hard work, dedication, and patience.
Starting a blog and generating income from it is a dream for many, but it requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and patience. Blogging is not a get-rich-quick scheme, and it takes time to build a successful blog. Setting realistic expectations is crucial, and you should not expect to start earning a full-time income from your blog right away.
To set realistic expectations, you need to research your niche, understand your audience, and create high-quality content that adds value to your readers. Building a loyal audience takes time, but it is essential for the success of your blog. You should also consider diversifying your income streams, such as through sponsored content, affiliate marketing, or digital products.
It’s important to remember that generating income from your blog is not a linear process, and there will be ups and downs along the way. But with hard work, dedication, and patience, you can build a successful blog that generates a steady income over time.
Overall you need to create quality content and promote it effectively through social media and marketing strategies. Also ensure you have it mobile-friendly; optimizing for search engines and finding monetization strategies including affiliate marketing, sponsored content.
It is important to always experiment with different strategies to find what works best for your blog